Friday 10 May 2013

Upper Yosemite - North Dome - Valley Floor Loop

(By Nath)...

Of the 3.5 million people that visit Yosemite National Park each year, 3.45 million of them never leave the valley floor.

Escaping the crowd was the motivation behind taking on this golden 29-kilometre trail, starting with a heart pumping two-hour ascent up yosemite falls (about 1km altitude gain), leaving all the lard asses behind.

You wouldn't read about it, but when I got to the top, there was a tightrope stretched across the top of the thundering falls.

What did I do? Took off my boots, strapped on my cowboy hat, and gave it a go of course (see photo - I had some Italian dude take my picture).  

After that I continued along the northern rim of Yosemite to the mighty North Dome and for three hours didn't encounter another soul. A lot of the forested section of the trail was still covered in snow... I just powered through Rocky IV style, visualising the defeat of Ivan Drago. 

I totally underestimated the amount of water I would need, so I ate snow for the last half of the hike. A wise man once told me: 'don't eat yellow snow'... it's always good to have these survival tips on board.

I saw quite a few deer, and c.150 squirrels.  

Followed Indian Ridge for an hour, looking over at the mighty Half Dome. Only rock cairns to guide me over this glorious granite ridge. I didn't see any Indians though.

After seven hours I started the descent following Snow Creek looking up Tenaya Canyon... my knees/quads are made for descending... no sissy hiking poles here.  

8.5 hours round trip.  Chowed like a horse, drank 2L water and 5 x Budweiser when I got back to Bessie.

The boys took turns at knee dropping on me as I passed out into a deep sleep.